Non-Discrimination and Reinforcement of Women Peace and Security Agenda in the MENA Region
Lebanon 2nd National Consultation
“Women, Peace and Security Agenda in Lebanon”
November 13, 2012-Beirut, Lebanon
BEIRUT, Lebanon ll ABAAD-Resource Center for Gender Equality, in partnership with Women’s League for International Peace and Freedom (WILPF) and and Freidrish Eberet Stiftung (FES), organized the “Second National Consultation Meeting on Women, Peace and Security” on November 13, 2012.
This meeting aimed at integrating the outcomes and recommendations from phase I of the national consultation meeting along with the outcomes highlighted in Geneva. More specifically, the meeting focused on identifying national priorities to form a framework to design a national action plan accordingly.
Among the most important priorities identified in the second phase of the national consultation meeting on Women, Peace and Security Agenda in Lebanon were the following:
1. Ensuring women’s participation in decision-making processes in post-conflict situations and peace building efforts,
2. Advocating for women’s active participation at all levels of the society
3. Educating younger generations on peace, Human Rights, conflict resolution and democracy practices
4. Monitor, document and report all gender related violations and specifically those related to peace and security.
5. Harmonize national constitutions and legislation with international law (including CEDAW) to guarantee non-discrimination and promote women’s rights and gender equality.
It is to be noted that this meeting was a follow up on process held on May 10th 2012. The report of the national consultation meeting was presented by the Lebanese Women Delegation at the 20th Session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva on June 22nd, 2012.
ABAAD-Resource Center for Gender Equality
Ms. Ghida Anani, Director & Founder
Mobile : +961 (70) 28 38 20
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/abaadmena