Russia - Voting Results for the Awards “Sexist of the Year - 2011”
Initiative group Pro Feminism announced the results of the open internet voting for the award “Sexist of the Year- 2011”.
Sexism is an ideological component of gender violence aimed at social segregation of women. Sexism is a set of ideological convictions based on beliefs in physical and psychological inequality between men and women and decisive impact of sex differences on history and culture. Sexist ideology comprises ideas of primordial differentiation of humanity into the male upper group and female lower group, with the former allegedly creating civilization and culture and predestined to rule over the latter.
The goal of the established award “Sexist of the Year” is to stop the orgy of sexism in mass media and advertising. Our objective is to attract popular attention to the problem of sexism and initiate the passing of the special law that would guarantee freedom of information space from hate speak against women.
Winners of the Voting “Sexist of the Year- 2011”.
Sexist of the Year. Individual Competition. Total number of replies: 951
1. Vsyevolod Chaplin, archpriest (Russia) – 65%. For the suggestion to introduce Orthodox Christian dress code for women.
1. InSanely Beautiful, MusTV – 33%. For propagation of sexist stereotypes and reproductive mechanisms of patriarchal behavior.
1. Elena Mizulina, MP – 38%. For lobbyism of anti-women draft legislation and amendments based on superstition and limiting women’s reproductive rights and access to safe abortion.
1. “Erotic” calendar of the Congress Hotel (Novosibirsk) – 25%. For objectification of women, impermissible sexualization of hotel staff. Calendar presents tourist business professionals as a trade object, which is in fact propaganda of prostitution and human traffic.
1. German Styerligov – 40%. For propaganda of patriarchal stereotypes of family relations, with women presented as legally incapable objects instead of legally equal partners.
For reference. Initiative group “For Feminism” is created in Moscow in 2010 for promotion of feminist ideas and consolidation of civil rights activists. The award “Sexist of the Year” is established in 2010, the first vote taking place in the beginning of 2011.
Website - Pro Feminism: http://www.zafeminizm.ru/
Contact person: Natalia Bitten